Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Weigh-In: September 20, 2008

Weight: 364.8 lbs

Total Weight Lost: 27 lbs in 19 weeks (1.42 lbs/week)

No weigh-in last week because I spent the day at my parents' house, away from my scale, listening to the radio while Hurricane Ike passed through the Houston area. To say I've been off my healthy eating plan since then would be an understatement.

Friday, the day before the storm, I went to my parents' house and we had lunch at a Chinese restaurant, one of the few places that we could find that stayed open past noon as people headed to their homes to wait out the storm. On our way home we stopped at Antonio's Flying Pizza to pick up a pizza for dinner. Oddly enough, that looks like it may become a tradition for us since we did the same thing when we were expecting Hurricane Rita when we had dinner (pasta) at Antonio's and then took a pizza home for later.

Anyway, after Ike passed we were without power so for the next few days my diet consisted of two slices of pizza a day. We had other food available, such as cereal and cans of soup, but I couldn't stop thinking that any food I ate was food that wasn't available to my parents if they needed it and I've inclined to think I'm better prepared to go without food for a few days than they are. Once businesses started to reopen we started going out to eat at whatever place we could find open without driving around and wasting gas. Since it would be our meal of the day, I'd deliberately choose food that was high in calories.

I'm at home now and have power again. One of the benefits of living in an apartment complex where the power company could get a bunch of people back online with relatively little effort. My parents are still without power so I'll be spending a lot of time at their house and still eating with them though now I'll start choosing healthier foods.

I want to call people's attention to the fact that even though my caloric intake this past week has been the lowest it's been since I started trying to lose weight, the rate at which I'm losing weight actually dropped this past week. That's because when your body doesn't get enough food, and two slices of pizza a day is not enough food, it starts to shut down in order to preserve energy. It will even burn muscle instead of fat in order to slow the metabolism and lower the number of calories you burn in a day. The slowing of my rate of weight loss is a pretty graphic demonstration that starving yourself is not a good way to lose weight.

No comments: